Saturday, December 29, 2012

skin of my teeth: phrase

Narrowly; barely
  
The phrase first appears in English in the Geneva Bible, 1560, in Job 19:20, which provides a literal translation of the original Hebrew:
"I haue escaped with the skinne of my tethe."
Teeth don't have skin, of course, so the writer may have been alluding to the teeth's surface or simply to a notional minute measure - something that might now be referred to, with less poetic imagery than the biblical version, as 'as small as the hairs on a gnat's bollock' ( testicles )
  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Whew, just got the last tag in by the skin of my teeth. I wasn't even sure I would make it, but make it I did! I just couldn't make it the same way TH did though, but I like it none the less.
I didn't make the extra tag, I am all out of Christmas. lol
 

also entering this in:

Little Scrap Pieces - Fun Friday "Winter" Challenge ( I wish we would get some snow here! )
Divas by Design - Challenge 66 Anything Goes
Simon Says - Anything Goes
 
 
Ranger - Broken China, Symphony Tissue Tape
stickles - Orange Peel, Stardust
Cricut - Winter Wonderland cartridge, p. 69 ( Brrrr )
Stretch Your Imagination cartridge, p. 80 ( tag )
Stampabilities - silver ink
S.E.I - Holiday Cheer stickers ( snowman )
Martha Stewart - Winter Snows glitter
Reminisce - white pen
K and Co. - pearl
American Crafts - Holiday House plastic snowflakes
Faber Castell - PITT pen
Glisten Gloss - white tinsel
 

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Cute Christmas tag. I've enjoyed reading your blog and your daily tidbits of information.

Viv said...

Great Tag! I'm completely Christmassed out too.... not that I was full of enthusiasm in the first place!
Happy New Year!

abusybee - DoubleClick Connections said...

Brrr! Fun tag! Great trim! Thanks for joining us over at Little Scrap Pieces! DT Member Carri~Abusybee

Rita said...

Now those are some small bollocks! ;)

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

Very sweet tag. Impressed you checked out garys blog. He is somewhat amazing! But don't tell DH! He has just received an obe, he wrote the queens jubilee song 'sing' which is a stunning piece of work, he is part of 'take that' one of the first Brit boy bands still on the go but never made it in America, take that performed the last song at the olympics. He is very lovely and talented - oh and a devoted hubby and dad of three as well. Oh dear I sound like a groupie!! Happy scrappy new year, jenx

scrappymo! said...

So whimsical! Love it. Good luck on the challenges.

Francesca said...

Great tag, i do live the flowers. well done you to complete the 12 tags , I only managed two in the whole year. Hugs Francesca

Mary Pat Siehl said...

what an adorable tag!!! great job

Twiglet said...

Great tag and I love the Boxing Day pic below!! I am a bit late visiting desks due to festive fun! Happy New Year. x Jo

BJ said...

Cutey snowman Sandee, well done to get it done before the end of the challenge, definitely by the skin of your teeth! Happy New Year

The Scrapbook Lady UK said...

Cute tag! Totally on a Gary high! Glad you visited his site to find out more! Take That (his band)never made it in America. He is a mega brit! Just got an OBE, wrote the Queen's jubilee song 'sing' which is just immense (you can find it on youtube). Super talented singer song writer, charity supporter and a devoted husband and dad of three as well.... what more could you ask for??? happy scrappy new year, jenx

Pat N. said...

Great tag Sandee, love the Brrrr!

Shelly said...

Very cute tag! Great texture!
Happy new year and thank you for joining us at little Scrap Pieces.
Shelly

Sherrie K. said...

Adorable tag! Love the snowman and all the texture. The stitching looks awesome!
Thanks for joining us in the challenge at Little Scrap Pieces!!
Sherrie K
http://sherriescraps.blogspot.com
DT Member

Princess Judy Palmer said...

Isn't there some comment about a whisker's breadth? I mention it only because my the skin on my teeth bit the cat's whisker this morning. It was really creepy. For both of us. I like your non-Tim tag and your snowman's jaunty hat.

cheiron said...

What a cute tag! Love that snowman. Thanks for playing along with the Anything Goes challenge this week over at the Simon Says Stamp Challenge Blog!

Katie said...

I love this tag. The snowman is so cute!

Karen said...

Hi Sandee love your snowman tag adorable super cute. thank you so much for joining the LSP "winter" Challenge. Karen