Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Deco Arts ~ Gelli plate with stencils

For my Deco Arts post today, I wanted to play around with some different kinds of paints on my Gelli Plate, and I now have a new love, its the Satin Enamel paint and it is a hard, durable paint that flows and levels out to a smooth finish. It is awesome and I LOVE it, you don't have to use much at all, a little bit goes a long way on the gelli. 

I also played around with the Black Frost paint which is a glass paint. Keeping in mind that it is not intended to be used on a Gelli Plate, it did pretty well, and it cleaned off the gelli plate with a little elbow grease, I probably won't use it on the gelli again, but in a pinch it worked out fine. I used it on the chipboard raven too, so you can see the intensity color difference when it is used alone or layered on the gelli. 

You can see where I added the 3D Gloss enamel circles by adding the paint to the dot stencil, giving a nice layered and completely translucent effect.

There you have it, different types of paints from the norm being used.
A glass paint and a wood paint, both worked with different degrees of success.
So, overall, a mix of different paints were used other than the standard acrylic paints, with one paint standing out in a big way, which was the Satin Enamel.
 I loved it so much I have used it on several other projects:
The mixed media wall plate covers and the frame around my bathroom mirror
( Will be giving my lower cabinet the same treatment as the mirror frame. )

Deco Arts products used:
*Satin Enamel - sage green* dark walnut*

other well loved products:
Reminisce sticker letters, white pen

Helmar Krystal KOTE Gloss Varnish
Helmar 450 Quick Dry Adhesive

entering my 6 x 12" wall hanging in:
Craft Room Challenges - Our Feathered Friends
Challenges4Everybody - #31 Anything Goes
Carolyn Dube - October's Colorful Gelli Print Party

14 comments:

Jean said...

Very cool. Love how you used the different paints!

Winnie said...

So cool looking! Love all the texture you captured on it too!

Pam said...

Great wall hanging! Love how you did the tree!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Meggymay said...

Great projects, the backgrounds are fabulous.
Yvonne

MaryH said...

Since my gelli is still in the box I really enjoyed reading how you created this nifty art piece. Thanks for the info on the paints that worked well, the ones that didn't! Your experimenting will save some boo-boo's on my part (hopefully!) I keep saying one of these days...then other stuff gets in the way. This was a delightful post...to read & something for the eyes to feast upon with your spooky art. TFS & Hugs

fairy thoughts said...

Yes a lovely finish I have been a bit scared to use anything other than acrylics on my gelli plate but maybe I will try some others. Love the card
Janet

Carole Z said...

Fab hanging and post - I bought my gelli plate in April and still haven't had the chance to use it...ahhh once Christmas crafting is done and dusted it's next on the list! Carole Z X

Netty said...

terrific tag, great results, Annette

NAHnahBananah said...

Awesome texture! I have not tried a gelli plate yet, maybe I'll tell Santa! tfs ~Barbara

Mervi said...

Stunning creation and technique.
Thank you for sharing at Craft-Room Challenge, welcome again;-))m

Gabriele said...

Love the texture.

hazel said...

A fabulous piece, thank you for sharing it with us at Craft-Room Challenge.
xxx Hazel.

Carolyn Dube said...

Now I so want to try that paint on the Gelli! Thanks for sharing with the Party!

Debi said...

Wow this is divine! love all the texture, thanks for sharing with us at Craft room challenge., Debi x