Friday, January 31, 2014

Art

The completed work of an artist which is the expression of creativity or imagination, or both that portrays a mood, feeling or tells a story; works of art collectively.
====================================
entering my art journal page in:

Simon Says Monday Challenge - This is where the cowboy rides away

OK, so the prompt made me think of campfires out in the prairie under star filled nights...which then morphed into a more "citified" oil lantern with moths fluttering around it ...

The background was made using a paint etching technique. The first layer are random colors of Ranger Distress Paints which I then covered with a thick layer of an acrylic/glaze mixture and then scratched through while the paint was still wet. A shot of Maya Roads whiteout was spritzed over the top and then it was sealed with Helmar Crystal KOTE Gloss Varnish. 

Loved creating the lamp as my centerpiece, cut from the Cricut Country Life cartridge, p. 64 and then shadow outlined with my pens and outlined the glass globe with stickles. The flame was created by free hand drawing it onto the vellum and then coloring it in with Sakura Glaze pens and the white Sharpie.

The butterflies began their life has very pretty dimensional butterflies from K&Co. but moths aren't that pretty to me, plus the pink and blue colors wouldn't work either. So, I did what any self respecting mixed media artist would do...I tore them apart and inked and grunged them up! I even added a layer of Ranger Distress Crackle Paint over them!

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay.....another new favorite!!!! LOVE this and need a video on this technique. Please. No really.....I'm serious. :P
Luvs ya!
Yvonne

Carole Z said...

Wo...yes another wow! I love all the techniques you use and ideas you have..fabulous! Carole Z X

Marion Armitage said...

This is spectacular and another technique I have never tried.. What an instigator you are!!! and I Love it...

Granny Korner Craftingwithartgrandma said...

Video Please, What is the Whiteout you used? I really love this as i am a retired Camp out cowgirl. I have now camp out in my studio with my Lanterns and butterflies. Love from Sharon Estes, partner in *fun*

My name is Erika. said...

Like this page and the lantern theme.I love how you represented the light coming out.

mikosspot.blogspot.com said...

see I should've known you were being creative.. and your mojo went where?? it's back!!! I expect a video!! lol

Faye said...

This is so exciting! I love the use of the stickles.

Unknown said...

this is such a clever piece!!!! Happy PPF!!!

SCarol said...

This is amazing! Yes, please do a video. Really wonderful page.

Netty said...

Loving the dynamics of your mixed media piece, so eye catching. Happy PPF, Annette G

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown said...

Wowzer, I agree a video please. Love the lantern and that background!!!

Princess Judy Palmer said...

You tore the wings off of butterflies and turned them into moths??! You brute! I love this piece although it isn't that western to me. I do love how your train of thought went there. I love to know people have quirky thought processes like me!

irene said...

Ditto to the requests above for a video. This is so much fun.

Cindy D. said...

Wonderful little lantern with its pretty flame and butterflies!

Linda Kunsman said...

gorgeous piece!!

Unknown said...

Found your blog today and love, love love it!!! Your page is truly great, and your blog is so very inspiring!

Giggles said...

Wonderful page.. thanks for sharing your process!

Hugs Giggles

Suzanne C said...

Brilliant take on the wild west idea! Love the lantern and the moths drawn to it! Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge!

DVArtist said...

WOW Sandee I love this piece. Your background is so full of life in the dark. Very nice.
Nicole/Beadwright

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

This is really cool, Sandee! I like the energy in the piece. Happy belated PPF and Blessings!

Annabelle said...

Love the way you painted the night sky with the different patterned light created by the lantern and moths.
Gives a psychedelic feel to the piece.

Annabelle xx