Friday, December 11, 2015

Snowan art journal page

Grumbacher is having a little snowman art contest going on and I decided to enter my melted snowman. After all I live in an area where we usually get one decent snow a year and it melts as fast as it arrives...which is a good thing as most people around here don't know how to drive in it, myself included.

I used an assortment of inks to create the sky, hopefully capturing the radiation of the sun warmth on a winters day. The sun itself was done with a Faber Castell gelato.

The snowman was created with some molding paste applied with a spatula. 

And to give the grass in the foreground some texture I scraped into the wet paint with some short strokes hopefully emulating grass.

A fun page in my art journal book which I am hoping to have completed before 2016 rolls around so I can begin with a new one!
Are you thinking of starting a new journal for 2016?

Linking this up with Paint Party Friday!

7 comments:

Gillena Cox said...

this very nice i like your techniques and luv that melted snowman, still wearing his hat

happy PPF

much love...

Pam said...

I love it! The weather is a bit odd here right now. Your colors are beautiful. I think the sky turned out great and I love that poor little melting snowman. The blus bird is priceless, love it, and of course the hills are perfect!
Pam
scrap-n-sewgranny.blogspot.com

Marlene said...

Love it! Thanks for showing your process, you don't know how cool that is for people like me who just don't "think" that way. Seeing your sketch with just some white molding paste on the page is really neat and the little details like his little carrot nose laying in the grass is perfect!

Susan said...

I love humor in art! This is delightful. That sky is gorgeous. Happy PPF on Sat.

Linda Kunsman said...

Super painting! Love the theme and that marvelous sky. Best of luck and happy PPF!

Jo said...

you've captured the melting snow man very well. It is ridiculously warm here today in Virginia. Hope you have a peaceful weekend.

Giggles said...

Wow your melting snowman is awesome...doesn't usually last long here either...
Hugs Giggles